I am very fortunate to have a job that allows me to work from home periodically. It can be easy to fall into the “I’m home!” traps, like constantly taking breaks to do housework (or maybe that’s just me?) if I don’t put blinders on and focus.
But I’ve found a few tricks that make the day just as productive as if I was in the office.
- Shower and put on real clothes, maybe even makeup. If you don’t shower and just wear pajamas all day, you will be less motivated to do work. It’s easier to stay in sick-day mode, or veg on the couch and watch TV mode if you don’t change. Plus, if you wear real clothes instead of pajamas, you’re more likely to notice that snacking all day does make a difference to your waist line.
- Make real meals. If you eat a good breakfast and a good lunch, you’re much less likely to snack and graze all day long. It’s okay to heat up a frozen meal for lunch, just like you would at the office. Just make sure you eat something substantial, or the chips and salsa or goldfish crackers will call to you all afternoon.
- Don’t drink too much coffee. I’ve been known to make a pot, just like I would at work, but then drink the entire thing myself. Bad, bad idea, for so many reasons.
- Get up to stretch and take a walk. At work, I’m fortunate to have a walking trail literally out my back door, and employee fitness classes to attend. At home, it’s easy to get into a groove and stay sedate in a single spot on the comfy couch. Set an alarm or pop up on your computer to remind you to move. I let myself put in a load of laundry or unload the dishwasher during my breaks.
- Set up an ergonomic workstation. Okay, so you might not be able to fashion a standing desk at home, but find a table or desk that allows you to work without messing up your neck and back.
Do you work from home? What are your tips to staying productive (and healthy!)?