I’ve been wanting to read Gone Girl since this summer, especially since my favorite podcast hosts on Pop Culture Happy Hour have been raving about it repeatedly. I put it on hold at the library and it finally became available via ebook.
I have mixed feelings about reading ebooks. When I was still nursing Future President (we only lasted eight months. I still feel guilty about that.) I liked to read on my iPhone since it was easier to turn virtual pages than real pages. Then I got lazy and my attention span shortened. It was easier to read tweets and Facebook posts than pages of ebooks while nursing.
Still, I’ve been wanting to read Gone Girl, and since it was available in this medium, I wasn’t going to wait for the print version.
Here are the pros to reading it on my iPad:
- It’s not as heavy as I imagine the hardback would be since it’s quite long.
- I can read it after DH goes to sleep since the iPad provides its own light.
- I can easily switch between reading and doing something else – like checking Facebook or the news – when something scary happens in the book and I need to take a breather.
Here are the cons:
- Future President is obsessed with the iPad and wants to watch or play with it if I am using it. He would not be so inclined to snatch it away if I was reading the hardback version.
- It would be easier to read lying down on a pillow or resting my head on the arm of the sofa if I was holding a book instead of the iPad.
- I look at a screen all day at work and it would be nice to rest my eyes with something less shiny and bright.
Do you have a preference? Do you e-read?